Is it safe to travel in south africa?
South Africa has some of the highest violent crime rates in the world, but, by being vigilant and using common sense, you should have a safe and pleasant trip as hundreds of thousands of other people have each year. The key is to know and stick to general safety precautions: never walk around in deserted areas at night or advertise posession of money and expensive accessories.
- Distribute your valuables in inside pockets and other pockets.
- Leave Passports and other valuables in a safe or other secure location.
- Hide that you are a tourist: conceal your camera etc.
- Keep your car doors locked, and windows closed.
- Do not accept offers from friendly strangers.
- Do not wear jewellery or expensive watches.
- Do not carry large sums of money.
- Do not walk by night in deserted places.
Enjoy your trip!